Monday, January 26, 2009

Thermometer Troubles (& Puppies)

So first off, I've been having thermometer troubles. Our fancy-dancy Walgreens thermometer was what I was going to start off this charting adventure with, until I discovered it was dead and out of batteries. So I went out and purchased a special BBT thermometer and have been happily recording my temperature for the past week or so. My temperatures were low, but not unreasonably so....

And then someone posted a temp in the 96 range that had them worried, because people with that low of temperature are dead. And.....all but one of my temps was in the 96 range, with the highest being 97.07. Did I have a problem? Or just a faulty thermometer? (It happens, right?....RIGHT?) Anyway, I went grocery shopping last night and so picked up a regular thermometer (Vick's digital), figuring that my husband would be loathe to use the pink tipped BBT one anyway. I tried them out immediately and noticed a degree difference. But was it the NEW thermometer that was acting up? Or the slightly less new BBT one?

I woke up at 3:45 a.m. like a spazz and was convinced it was morning. At that time, the thermometers had a global summit of some type, because I got a 97.00 on the BBT and 97.7 on the Vicks. I went back to sleep like a non-crazy person, and woke up at 7:00 a.m. I tried again and got a 97.23 on the BBT and 97.8 on the Vicks. Hrm. At least I was now getting temperatures in the 97 range reliably on both thermometers, but that .57 difference was sticking in my craw a little. My husband recommends that I get a mercury (or mercury-like) thermometer not plagued with potentially faulty programming so I can tell which one is being reliable. I'm tempted to believe it is the BBT only because it takes a longer time and is supposed to be more precise, Vick's is only trying to tell me if I have a fever or not. Which, like, I do not, since I'm barely alive at this point, thanks a lot.

So after work I will be getting a new thermometer.

As if that weren't enough (drama over my freaking temperature), my husband and I visited a breeder yesterday to look at Schnauzers. My husband is allergic to dogs, but Schnauzers are supposed to be hypoallergenic. And while he had far less trouble with them than any other dog, he did have enough trouble for us to refrain from getting one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen and who melted my heart on the spot. :-( No puppies for us. (Don't talk to me about poodles.) It's just sort of like, thanks universe, as if my evil ovaries weren't enough, I can't even have a puppy to cuddle? Really? REALLY?

Ok, done with that now. Back to work. More bulletins about my adventures in heat calculation as events warrant.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on all of these issues, my dear! My BBT is often in the 96's and I've gotten way different temps with my BBT and my regular thermometer (in fact, I've temped with them simulaneously by putting one in each side of my mouth--talk about looking like Freak of The Week!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Thank you for making me feel like more of a normal person.

    ReplyDelete