Tuesday, January 27, 2009

More thermometer issues...

First off, and this has NOTHING to do with the thermometers, I am in love with sunflower seeds again. I used to eat them all through hs and college, and a little in law school, but once I went on birth control I lost most of my taste for them. Now I've rediscovered them. Yum, salt! I will have to watch the intake on them though, because not good to be eating them all the time.

Anyway, so I went to CVS yesterday and bought a fake-mercury thermometer, and another BBT one. Don't judge. If my original BBT one was screwed up then I wanted another one, because I am crazy and I like the hundredth degree thing. Then I came home and tested my temperature around 4:15 p.m. -ish.

CVS BBT: 96.87
Vicks: 97.7
Wal-Mart BBT: 96.82
Fake Mercury: 97.3 (or so I read, why do they make these things difficult?)

So, technically the Fake Mercury temperature should be the most accurate, but that means that both Vicks and the BBTs are off by .5 ish degrees, which....sucks. But I do not want to use the Fake Mercury every morning because I like the memory feature on the others AND I don't want to wait 5 minutes, yeesh, just to take my temperature. (Secretly, I'm also still inclined to agree with the BBTs since they both agreed so closely.)

So I have decided to stick with the Wal-Mart pink top BBT for now because it is what I have been using, and I am more concerned with temperature shift than dead-on accuracy of my body temperature every time. Also, when I have my next doctor visit (coming up in February at some point) I will ask about the potentially low temps. I will NOT drive myself crazy about it. This coming from someone who now owns four thermometers.

Sheesh, and I'm still on the first cycle. True it's already been 35 days on this cycle, but hopefully I can reign in the crazy just a little bit. Yesterday I had a spike up into the 97s and thought maybe that meant something, but today I'm back in 96 land. The cold and frosty place to be. At this point I would love for something to signify ovulation just so I can start another cycle already.

2 comments:

  1. We are in the exact same boat! I'm starting to think my thermometer is garbage, too. I took my temp one afternoon 4 times and got 4 very different readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes you wonder about the people who don't check their thermometer the first time, doesn't it? I never would have second guessed my temps if they weren't a little whacked out.

    ReplyDelete