Friday, March 26, 2010

Group B Strep

From what Dr. Google tells me, women are usually tested for Group B Strep in the 35-37 week of their pregnancy. I will be tested on Tuesday because my husband's semen analysis from the IUI came back positive for Group B Strep. I have gone from fervently praying to be pregnant to wondering if that is what I should be hoping for (though I know the chances of this hurting my hypothetical baby are pretty rare.)

They found "round cells" in his semen which can indicate immature sperm or white blood cells. It turns out these were white blood cells and the count was higher than they would like, so they ran a culture. It was positive for Group B Strep. So now I have to have a culture (and a pap since I'm overdue) next Tuesday in addition to my long-awaited pregnancy test (it's only 12 days after the IUI, does that seem early to anyone else?)

No comments:

Post a Comment