Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Other Life Issues

My husband said something a few days ago about maybe postponing having kids - and I wanted to throttle him. We may have a long road ahead of us anyway in that department, and he wants to prolong the time until we start?

In fairness, it's not about having kids per se - he wants them and is ready to have them. The deal is, I have a great job for me right now in a crap location for him (he is working way below his pay grade here at some part-time nonsense). At some point (and some point soon) we will have to move to another location. We hope not to move until one of us has a good job in the new location to make it easier, but we don't know what will happen. We have enough for a down payment on a house in a new location, but not enough to pay for a new house and keep paying off my law school loans and pay for a baby without both of us working, and we don't know what will happen. My view is, it's never the "perfect time" to have a baby, and we're not in a terrible financial situation that should prohibit us from trying to have a child. I'm already 27 and have known issues, so let's work with that, and be cautious of the financial issues but not overwhelmed by them. Life is always uncertain. But then again, I went to 12 schools before high school because my dad was in the military. So I'm much cooler with geographical uncertainty than the next person.

Also, and I want to vent about this but be vague too, so you know, it might be hard to follow - there is a potential set of positions for me in my husband's desired location, but it is on a different time schedule than everything else. I'm struggling to start applying for those jobs, because then I have to admit to everyone here (or at least some people) that I am leaving, and that saddens me. I want to do it and be supportive of him, but if that falls through and we end up staying here (b/c he doesn't have a job in the new location) for a period of time, I don't want it hanging over my head. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment